Back in 1936......
Back in 1936......
Back in 1936 just as the newly opened Regal Cinema in Cranleigh was proving popular a group of enthusiasts who played on a modest bowling green adjacent to the Swallow Tiles company (now demolished) in Bookhurst Hill, were thinking of better facilities.
Playing facilities were not good and when the new sports ground was being constructed at the bottom of Broomers lane in Ewhurst it was seen as a potential site for a new bowling green.
With the help of the Parish Council a suitable area was set aside for a proposed four rink green and by the dedication and hard work of a few the new green was ready to play by the end of April 1937 though the initial games were played away with the first game against Warnham on 14 July 1937.
Like the club today, the first members came from all sectors of local life.
However, changing facilities were a little basic but soon a modest pavilion was used being shared with the next door tennis club. With the outbreak of war bowling continued but only for the older members.
1947 - 1954
In 1947 the club successfully negotiated with the Parish Council for more land which enabled the green to be extended to six rinks, further extensions to the clubhouse followed in 1954 to include a bar, toilets and tool shed.
For the first 33 years of its life the club was strictly men-only, ladies only being permitted in 1969.
Membership of the club has fluctuated over the years and at one stage there was danger of the club closing but membership steadily increased.
Over the years the green was fenced in, flower beds installed and also a new automatic watering system.
Back in 1990 a new version of the game “Short Mat” was being played in the nearby badminton club and was proving very popular, the stumbling part was that a flat floor was needed and in this instance that was not the case.
Then once again with help from the Parish Council and the Lottery Sports Fund it was decided to build a purpose built hall suitable for both Ewhurst Bowling club and Ewhurst Short Mat Bowls club. Apart from assistance with the design members carried out all the interior decoration and the new modern pavilion was opened in 1996.
This has proved to be the envy of every club in the county for its excellent facilities.
2016 will be the clubs 80th anniversary.